XR Project and Festival
at Bethany Lutheran College
and receive a free Oculus-GO VR headset*
* [To the first 10 high schools to register. Value $200 – this is not a “cardboard” type viewer that uses a smartphone, but a stand-alone (no computer needed) device that provides a full virtual reality experience. See www.oculus.com/go/]
Click here for information about
How can XR technology be used to serve the Lord? We don’t know the answer but we know how to find it: ask the kids!
“XR” (extended reality) includes VR(virtual reality), AR(augmented reality) and MR(mixed reality). [google “XR VR AR MR what’s the difference?”]
Join us during the 2019-20 school year to explore the potential in XR technology for educationand outreach. For Christian schools, “outreach” means creating and delivering effective Gospel messages using XR. Any school may focus on educational applications.
Participating involves two stages: the Project and the Festival.
- In fall semester of 2019, form a team of any number of interested students.
- Together, learn all you can about XR technology in general.
- Then select one narrower aspect of XR (VR, AR, MR) to explore in depth.
- Create either a description or a demonstration of a way to use your chosen aspect of XR for either education or outreach.
We will provide your team with expert guidance and suggestions, as well as opportunities for you and your students to meet and discuss your findings with other school participants in Virtual Reality (using your new Oculus-GO).
- Bring your team to Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato, Minnesota, on Friday-Saturday, April 3-4, 2020.
- In your assigned time slot, your team will present the results of your Project work to other Festival attendees, industry reps, and the general public.
- Enjoy the other Festival features: Keynote addresses, XR demonstrations, workshops, interacting with students and teachers with similar interests, seeing results of other teams’ work, fellowship and worship, and much more.
A Festival registration fee of $30/person covers four meals and all materials.
Transportation to the Festival and lodging (if needed) is your responsibility, but we are working to raise donations to subsidize these costs if we can, especially those travelling from a greater distance, and we will advise and assist schools if they require local fundraising.
How to get the Oculus-GO:
Registration opens on the 15thday of August 2019. The first ten schools that register with an email to email@example.com will receive the 32 GB Oculus-GO. “Registration” is a promise of a good faith effort to participate fully in both the Project and Festival.
For more information, contact Dr. Tom Kuster at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for a PDF copy of this invitation.